Information about Multiple independent framebuffer console on different fb devices

From: Orazio PRIVITERA
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 10:43:38 EST

Hello,

I would like to get some information about multiple independent
framebuffer consoles on different fb devices.
Basically I'm working with a scenario of two independent video decoding
pipeline which allows to get two video displayed on two TV.
In this context, I would like to manage two independent framebuffers on
each video decoding. So, is it possible to have 2 concurrent virtual
consoles running on the two monitors simultaneously (for example two
independent console on the /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1 framebuffers at the
same time) ?

Looking at the register_framebuffer function, when the first frame
buffer device /dev/fb0 is registered, it calls the take_over_console
function (exported by drivers/char/console.c) in order to actually set
up the current frame buffer as the system console. But, when the second
framebuffer (/dev/fb1) is registered, the register_framebuffer function
doesn't set any system console for the /dev/fb1 device.

Is there some linux kernel version (or patch) which allows to manage the
described scenario?

Thanks a lot for any feedback,

Best regards

OP.