Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Remove PT_GNU_STACK support before 2.6.11

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 08:15:36 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 02:04:57PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > Hmm, I got a report that it doesn't work anymore with
> > 2.6.11rcs on x86-64. I haven't looked closely yet,
> > but it wouldn't surprise me if this change isn't also involved.
>
> PT_GNU_STACK change is there since like 2.6.6 (and was put in by a suse person)
> To me that is a strong indication that you are wrong on your
> suspicion...

Nah, the change to break 32bit userland mmap/mprotect like this was only
put in after 2.6.10.

64bit userland on the other hand always honored PROT_EXEC, but
before PT_GNU_STACK it would run by default with executable stack.

Hmm, I admit that my patch will break this case too, but fixing
that (setting READ_IMPLIES_EXEC only for 32bit)
would require more complicated changes that may not be appropiate
for 2.6.11. If it's deemed appropiate I could do such a patch too
though.

-Andi