Re: [patch] scsi/libata: correct bug for ULi M5281

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 23:46:48 EST

Clear.Zhang@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I've correct the patch according to your suggestion.
> But we need libata-core.c to export some functions.
> Here is the patch. Please check it and apply it to new kernels.
> Thanks a lot.

I'm afraid I cannot accept even the updated version of your patch.

Your second patch updates libata-core, and adds ULi-specific code to it.

What we need to do is

1) determine if your problem is ULi-specific, or applies to other
controllers

2a) If the problem is not ULi-specific, simply update libata to new
behavior.

2b) If the problem is ULi-specific, libata must be modified such that
all ULi-specific reset procedures are in sata_uli.c, and _no code is
duplicated from libata_. This may require that we change the libata
API. In Linux, it is OK to change the driver API when there is a problem :)

Regards,

Jeff