Post install 2.4.29 causes many apps to seg fault.

From: Gary Smith
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 14:20:43 EST

Hello,

I have been running RHEL3 update 3 for some time and need to patch netfilter
for PPTP. After doing so and installing the kernel I found that certain
applications (such as MySQL, nslook, etc) began to segfault. Rolling the
kernel back fixed the problem.

I have since then gone back and recompiled the vanilla 2.4.29 kernel (without
additing any patches this time - clean from tarball) and installed it and all
of the the applications that failed on the custom kernel (with the PPTP
patches) continue to fail (clean box as well).

Is there something more that I need to compile besides the kernel for
compatability or is this a sign of some type of bug. I do realize that RHEL3
itself has some proprietary items added to their kernel but replacing it
shouldn't make other applications fails.

Gary Smith