Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature

From: Jack O'Quin
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 11:16:07 EST

[trimming the Cc: list]

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:
> what does any of what we've talking about have to do with struct rusage?

Your previous message implied that "userspace" programmers don't
understand binary compatibility...

> you might ask yourself, 'why is this so, and why cannot the Linux guys
> apply pretty much any hack as e.g. userspace code might'

I was just demonstating that I do.

> " > Does getrusage() return anything for this? How can a field be added
> > to the rusage struct without breaking binary compatibility? Can we
> > assume that no programs ever use sizeof(struct rusage)?
>
> rlimits are easily extended and there are no binary compatibility
> worries. The kernel doesnt export the maximum towards userspace.
> getrusage() will return the value on new kernels and will return
> -EINVAL on old kernels, so new userspace can deal with this
> accordingly. "
>
> (and here i meant getrlimit(), not getrusage() - getrusage() is not
> affected by the patch at all.)

Well, that was source of my question.

I had asked about rusage. You said it did return a new value, but
that this was not a problem. That made no sense to me. Thank you for
clearing it up.

Certainly getrlimit() works OK. I understood that already.
--
joq