Re: [RFC] shared subtrees

From: Ram
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 21:29:56 EST

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 14:31, Mike Waychison wrote:

> Al Viro wrote:
>
> > OK, here comes the first draft of proposed semantics for subtree
> > sharing. What we want is being able to propagate events between
> > the parts of mount trees. Below is a description of what I think
> > might be a workable semantics; it does *NOT* describe the data
> > structures I would consider final and there are considerable
> > areas where we still need to figure out the right behaviour.
> >

> Okay, I'm not convinced that shared subtrees as proposed will work well
> with autofs.
>
> The idea discussed off-line was this:
>
> When you install an autofs mountpoint, on say /home, a daemon is started
> to service the requests. As far as the admin is concerned, an fs is
> mounted in the current namespace, call it namespaceA. The daemon
> actually runs in it's one private namespace: call it namespaceB.
> namespaceB receives a new autofs filesystem: call it autofsB. autofsB
> is in it's own p-node. namespaceA gets an autofsA on /home as well, and
> autofsA is 'owned' by autofsB's p-node.

Mike, multiple parsing through the problem definition, still did not
make the problem clear. What problem is autofs trying to solve using
namespaces?

My guess is you dont want to see a automount taking place in namespaceA,
when a automount takes place in namespaceB, even though
the automount-point is in a shared subtree?

Sorry don't understand automount's requirement in the first place,
RP

> So:
..snip...