Re: Pipes and fd question. Large amounts of data.

From: Oded Shimon
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 05:50:09 EST

On Sunday 30 January 2005 11:41, Miles wrote:
> My suggestion would be to perform blocking writes in a seperate thread
> for each of the two written-to fds. You can still use select/poll for
> the read side ... tho' once you're using threading on the write side it
> might be more straightforward to to use threading on the read side as
> well. Bear in mind that if you do that you'll need to dedicate threads
> to _each_ of the four fds, because each of them could block
> independently while progress is required on one or more of the others.
>
> I'd say that this was one of the rare cases where a solution using
> threads is not only superior to one using event-driven IO, but actually
> required.

Yeah, I reached just about the same conclusion. At first I thought only 2
threads were necessary, one for each data flow, but I realized a deadlock
could happen just as well in that too. Making a 4 thread implementation I
trust is gonna be hard... I better get working. :)

Thanks for the reply,
- ods15