Using fuse for AFS/DFS (was Re: [OpenAFS-devel] openafs / opendfs collaboration)

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 22:22:19 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 03:45:08PM +0100, Alexander Bostr?m wrote:
> fre 2005-01-21 klockan 12:22 -0500 skrev Derrick J Brashear:

> > > Or on Linux, something based on FUSE, which is apparently now getting
> > > merged.
> >
> > Arla's nnpfs is actually portable, one filesystem per platform sort of
> > sucks.
>
> But it lacks a nice libnnpfs that one can use to implement a filesystem.
>
> Every OS should have some kind of userland filesystem interface. Linux
> might get FUSE (and it might be adequate*), HURD has one, Dragonfly are
> aiming at it and on some systems there's nnpfs already. On top of those
> interfaces there could be a set of libraries implementing a common API
> for all the platforms.
>
> *) Last time I looked at FUSE the security model was: If the current uid
> equals the owner of the mountpoint then forward the request to the
> userland daemon, without any authentication information like for example
> the current uid. This might have or could be changed though.

as of 2.6.7-ish (last time i looked: 2.5 months) there was
no forwarding of security: in fact there was nothing in any of the
APIs about security at all: in fact, root as a user was banned (with
good justification iirc)

also, the xattr handling was (is?) non-existant and i had to
add it, but it was unsuitable for selinux, and that's a design
mismatch between fuse's way of communicating with its userspace
daemon (err -512 "please try later") and selinux's requirement
for instant answers (inability to cope with err -512)

so i started to look at lufs instead, which appeared to be a much
cleaner design.

lufs expects the userspace daemon to handle and manage inodes,
whereas fuse instead keeps an in-memory cache of inodes in
the userspace daemon, does a hell of a lot of extra fstat'ing
for you in order to guarantee file consistency, that sort of thing.

there is an API / library which your userspace daemon is expected to
use: this library handles the communication to the kernel and also it
handles the inode proxy redirection and cacheing for you.

lufs has a heck of a lot more examples available for it than fuse
does.

that all having been said, i don't think lufs's API has any
security handling either.

six of one, half a dozen of the other, but if you wanted fuse
to support selinux and any other form of security that involves
extended attributes, you would definitely have problems: i didn't get
round to evaluating lufs for selinux (ran out of time and money).

l.