Re: [2.6 patch] mark the mcd cdrom driver as BROKEN

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 14:54:03 EST

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 06:22:55PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> > The mcd driver drives only very old hardware (some single and double
> > speed CD drives that were connected either via the soundcard or a
> > special ISA card), and the mcdx driver offers more functionality for
> > the same hardware.
> >
> > My plan is to mark MCD as broken in 2.6.11 and if noone complains
> > completely remove this driver some time later.
> > (...)
> > - depends on CD_NO_IDESCSI
> > + depends on CD_NO_IDESCSI && BROKEN
>
> Shouldn't we introduce a DEPRECATED option for use in cases like this
> one?

We could.

We could also list MCD in Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
first.

But in this case I doubt it makes any difference.

This driver is for hardware where I doubt many users exist today, and it
should have been removed nearly ten years ago when the better mcdx
driver for the same now-obsolete hardware entered the kernel.

> Thanks,

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.