Re: Patch 4/6 randomize the stack pointer

From: John Richard Moser
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 12:00:03 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 11:21 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:

>>These are the only places mprotect() is mentioned; a visual scan
>>confirms no trickery:
>>
>> if( fork() == 0 ) {
>> /* Perform a dirty (but not unrealistic) trick to circumvent
>> * the kernel protection.
>> */
>> if( paxtest_mode == 1 ) {
>> pthread_t thread;
>> pthread_create(&thread, NULL, test_thread, dummy);
>> doit();
>> pthread_kill(thread, SIGTERM);
>> } else {
>

>>So, there you have it. These tests do not intentionally kill
>>exec-shield based on its known issue with tracking the upper limit of
>>the code segment.
>

> here they do.
> dummy is a local NESTED function, which causes the stack to *correctly*
> be marked executable, due to the need of trampolines.
> That disables execshield for any tests that use dummy.o, which most of
> them are.

Only in "Blackhat" mode. I ran in Kiddie and Blackhat mode, and my
second batch of tests (tests.txt, my errata) was run after execstack -c.

root@iceslab:/mnt/redhat/root/paxtest-0.9.6 # strace ./execstack 2>&1 |
grep mprotect
mprotect(0x20822000, 4096, PROT_NONE) = 0
root@iceslab:/mnt/redhat/root/paxtest-0.9.6 # strace ./execstack 2>&1 |
grep EXEC
old_mmap(NULL, 64996, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0x265d9000
old_mmap(NULL, 1232332, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE, 3, 0) = 0x265e9000
mmap2(NULL, 8392704, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x26716000

I killed the fork() line and straced it.
0x26716000 is only ~600 megs up, I find my stack at ~1.5G under
segmexec, I'd guess it'd be at ~3G under normal things like execshield.
You know what *looks*

getstack1: 0xfefcead7
getstack1: 0xfefe9947
getstack1: 0xfeedd4f7
getstack1: 0xfefe6e37
getstack1: 0xfee412b7
getstack1: 0xfee71737

Yeah it's pretty high under exec shield.

none of these are doing ANYTHING weird (grepping for EXEC and scanning
for PROT_EXEC and related addresses), aside from the normal mapping of
libraries by the system, which is probably what's killing Exec Shield's
anonymous mapping, heap, data, bss, library data, library bss. . .

To put it bluntly, you're wrong. The tests are valid.

- --