[ANNOUNCE] "iswraid" (ICHxR ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.29

From: Martins Krikis
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 20:18:33 EST

Version 0.1.5 of the Intel Sofware RAID driver (iswraid) is now
available for the 2.4 series kernels at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/iswraid/2.4.29-iswraid.patch.gz?download

It is an ataraid "subdriver" but uses the SCSI subsystem to find the
RAID member disks. It depends on the libata library, particularly on
either the ata_piix or the ahci driver, that enable the Serial ATA
capabilities in ICH5/ICH6/ICH7 chipsets. More information is available
at the project's home page at http://iswraid.sourceforge.net/.

Driver documentation is included in Documentation/iswraid.txt,
which is part of the patch. The license is GPL.

The changes WRT version 0.1.4.3 are the following:
* Resource deallocation bug fixed for failed initializations.
* Read IO resubmission to mirror bug fixed.
* RAID1E (covers 4-disk RAID10) code added.
* More aggressive marking disks as bad in metadata.
* Claiming disks for RAID "feature" removed.
* Option defaults now customizable from the build configuration.
* iswraid_never_fail "feature" watered down into iswraid_resist_failing.
* iswraid_halt_degraded now prevents degraded volumes from being registered.
* Debug printouts more customizable.
* Some code cleanup and optimization.
* Documentation changes.

Please consider this driver for inclusion in the 2.4 kernel tree.

Martins Krikis
Storage Components Division
Intel Massachusetts

P.S. I've CC-d directly to the potential reviewers suggested a few months ago
by Marcelo. I'll appreciate any feedback you (and others) can provide.