Re: Performance of iptables-restore on large rule sets

From: Martin Josefsson
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 14:36:17 EST

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:56 -0600, Steve Bergman wrote:
> I have a large rule set (~53000 rules) that I sometimes load using
> iptables-restore. (It takes almost an hour.
>
> Googling around tells me that the loop detection code in the kernel is
> slow with large rule sets. The only thing that seems odd to me is that
> throughout the entire loading process, iptables-restore is consistently
> at about 67% user and33% system processor time according to vmstat. If
> the slowness is in the kernel, shouldn't I be seeing a high and ever
> increasing amount of "system" time?

The loop checking takes place in userspace.

> Kernel is 2.6.9-1.681_FC3. Iptables is iptables-1.2.11-3.1.FC3.

Please try what is going to be released as iptables 1.3.0
You can get the latest snapshot here:
ftp://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/iptables/snapshot/iptables-1.3.0-20050127.tar.bz2

Read the file called INSTALL to see how to compile and install it. (and
make sure you are actually using the new version after it's installed,
either by using the absolute patch, /usr/local/sbin/iptables or by
uninstalling the iptables rpm)

It contains a rewrite of libiptc which is the library that performs the
ruleset modifications, it's much faster now.

I hope it improves your situation.

--
/Martin