Re: Adding an async I2C interface

From: Corey Minyard
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 09:08:55 EST

Bukie Mabayoje wrote:

I will be glad to work with on this, I have some exposure to the BMC. See text below in blue.

bukie

Corey Minyard wrote:

Mark Studebaker wrote:

> is there a way to do this solely in i2c-core without having to
> add support to all the drivers?

Yes and no. In order to support this async operation, the driver cannot
block and do things like msleep() or schedule().

The Interface driver must be a user space driver.

That is precisely the problem. What happens if you need to get to the i2c bus but you are not running from a task context?

It has to start the
operation, return, and either let polling or an interrupt drive the
continued operation. Thus for async operations the driver has to be
modified. However, if async operation is not required, the driver can
stay as is.

I've been working on this and will probably have a patch tomorrow. I've
modified the piix4 and the i801 drivers, I probably won't do any more
myself unless the need arises, since I can't test any others. Note that
this still supports the old driver interface, so no drivers need to be
rewritten. That way, they only need to be modified if something needs
the async interface. So drivers that have an RTC on them or that
support IPMI BMCs could be rewritten, but nothing else needs to be done.

I've also noticed a somewhat cavalier attitude in this code with respect
to return values. I've cleaned some of that up so return values are not
just -1 on error, but are proper errno values. However, I've only fixed
the core code and the drivers I've worked on.

Thanks,

-Corey

> Corey Minyard wrote:
>
>> I have an IPMI interface driver that sits on top of the I2C code. I'd
>> like to get it into the mainstream kernel, but I have a few problems
>> to solve first before I can do that. The I2C code is synchronous and
>> must run from a task context.

I am not sure what you mean that the I2C code is synchronous. I2C bus is Asynchronous which means that the data clock is not included in the data. The Sender and Receiver agrees on the timing parameters prior to the bus transaction.

I mean the driver, not the hardware. By the I2C driver being synchronous, I mean that you call a function, the whole operation occurs in the function, and then the function returns the result. By asynchronous, I mean that you tell the driver to start an operation and the driver starts it and immediately returns. It then uses interrupts, timers, or polling calls to drive the operation of the interface. When the operation is done, the results are reported back through a callback function provided when the driver started.

Plus there are SMB alerts which the hardware can generate asynchronously. The I2C driver has no concept of that right now.

The IPMI driver has certain
>> operations that occur at panic time, including:
>>
>> * Storing panic information in IPMI's system event log
>> * Extending the watchdog timer so it doesn't go off during panic
>> operations (like kernel coredumps).
>> * Powering the system off

Is this driver compliant with the IPMI spec? Because the above should be a sensor that must be enable or disable. A driver should not make sure a decision by itself.

There are two parts here. There is the I2C driver and the IPMI driver that sits on top of it. I'm really only taking about the I2C driver here, I need asynchronous operation from the I2C driver to do those things in the IPMI driver.

>> I can't really put the IPMI SMB interface into the kernel until I can
>> do those operations. Also, I understand that some vendors put RTC
>> chips onto the I2C bus and this must be accessed outside task context,
>> too.

What the vendor put on the board doesn't matter with respect to IPMI. What matter is that you have access to the Master where the slave you talking to is connect on the I2C bus.

I would really like add asynchronous interface to the I2C bus
>> drivers.

Do you mean a blocking and non blocking I/O?

Yes, that is a better term. I'll switch to using that.

-Corey