Re: Bug in 2.4.26 in mm/filemap.c when using RLIMIT_RSS

From: Ake
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 01:46:45 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 03:09:40PM +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > > BTW do you know if there is any plans for 2.6++ to actually use
> > > RLIMIT_RSS? I saw a hint in that direction in mm/thrash.c
> > > grab_swap_token but it is commented out and only skeleton code...
> >
> > Nope, RLIMIT_RSS does not seem to be used at all in v2.6:
> >
> > Its there for compatibility reasons, support for it might be added
> > in the future?
>
> Rik had a patch implementing RLIMIT_RSS in 2.6-mm for a while.
> But I think there were a couple of problems with it, and no great
> demand for the feature, so Andrew dropped it until someone makes
> a better case for it.

Well, the use for it is for compute clusters where you really would like
to be able to limit this. Esp on smp boxes where there is multiple
compute jobs running simultaneously. Be it mpi or separate jobs you
really want to limit their RSS use so they don't steal memory from each
other.

Internet: ake@xxxxxxxxxxxx Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90 7866126