Re: Possible bug in keyboard.c (2.6.10)

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 19:51:46 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> In short - raw mode in 2.6 is badly broken.

I think not just that. The whole keyboard input layer needs some serious
review. Just the complete lack of any locking is frightening, I'd really
like to know how the input layer could become the standard. I tried to
find a few times to find any discussion about the input layer design, but
I couldn't find anything.

Some of my favourites in the input layer:
- the keyboard sound/led handling: the keyboard driver basically fakes
events for the device and input_event() is "clever" enough to also tell
the device about it. This is quite an abuse of event system for general
device/driver communication.
- a single input device structure for all types: this structure is quite
big, where most of its contents is irrelevant for most devices.
- fine grained matching/filtering: I have no idea why the input layer has
to do this down to the single event instead of just the event type.

Vojtech, could you please explain a bit the reason for the above and what
are your plans to e.g. fix the locking?

bye, Roman