Re: 2.6.11-rc2-mm1: SuperIO scx200 breakage

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 21:13:34 EST

[Voluntarily skipping a large part of the discussion so as to stop
wasting everyone's time and focus on the one technical point I am
interested in.]

Hi Evgeniy,

> As I saw from different documentation - logical devices itself are the
> same.
>
> And it is the same for superio standard.
>
> For example sc1100 and pc87366 superio chips have the same logical
> inside, although different logical device set.
>
> (...)
>
> Not only access.
> Logic inside superio chip is submitted to superio standard.
> I designed(at least tried to) superio subsistem
> that it can handle all differencies using per device callbacks.

I would like to ensure that we agree on what is common to all Super-I/O
chips (as per Intel's LPC specification).

1* Super-I/O are accessed at I/O addresses 0x2e+0x2f or alternate
addresses 0x4e+0x4f.

2* These addresses give access to a 256 byte addressing space.

3* Super-I/O chips are divided in logical devices, which can be selected
by writing its id to 0x07. What each logical device does is not
standardized (depends of the chip).

4* Range 0x00-0x2f is common to all logical devices, while range
0x30-0xff is logical-device specific.

5* Range 0x20-0x2f contains chip-wide identification and configuration
registers. Definition of these registers is not standardized.

6* 0x31 controls the activation of each logical device, 0x60-0x63 its
base address, 0x70-0x73 its interrupts. Definition of these registers is
standardized.

7* Range 0xf0-0xff contains logical device-specific configuration
registers. Definition of these registers is not standardized.

And that's about it. The way each logical device works (how registers
are mapped from the base address) is completely chip-specific.

Do we agree on all this, or did I miss somthing? I would like to make
sure that, when you refer to sharing as much code as possible between
the various Super-I/O chips, you really mean the organization of logical
devices within the Super-I/O (selection, retrieval of base address and
interrupt configuration) and not the logical devices themselves.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/