Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU feature, -D7

From: Peter Williams
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 20:15:32 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Williams <pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oops, after rereading the patch, a task that set its RT_CPU_RATIO
rlimit to zero wouldn't be escaping the mechanism at all. It would be
suffering maximum throttling. [...]

my intention was to let 'limit 0' mean 'old RT semantics' - i.e. 'no RT
CPU time for unprivileged tasks at all', and only privileged tasks may
do it and then they'll get full CPU time with no throttling.

so in that context your observation highlights another bug, which i
fixed in the -D7 patch available from the usual place:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/rt-limit-patches/

not doing the '0' exception would make it harder to introduce the rlimit
in a compatible fashion. (My current thinking is that the default RT_CPU
rlimit should be 0.)

I'd suggest making the default 100% and only allow non privileged users to set a real time policy if the tasks RT_CPU_RATIO is BELOW some (possibly configurable via sysfs or sysctl) limit. This will have the desired effect that tasks given RT status via the normal means will be unaffected.

I'd also like to suggest that you change the units from parts per hundred (a.k.a. percent) to parts per thousand. In addition to giving better control granularity this will be a better match to HZ on most systems giving better efficiency.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce