Re: don't let mmap allocate down to zero

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 19:33:44 EST

linux-os wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Rik van Riel wrote:

With some programs the 2.6 kernel can end up allocating memory
at address zero, for a non-MAP_FIXED mmap call! This causes
problems with some programs and is generally rude to do. This
simple patch fixes the problem in my tests.

Does this mean that we can't mmap the screen regen buffer at
0x000b8000 anymore?

How do I look at the real-mode interrupt table starting at
offset 0? You know that the return value of mmap is to be
checked for MAP_FAILED, not for NULL, don't you?

This does not affect the case where the user requests a specific virrtual address (ie. vm86 stuff).

--
Brian Gerst