USB API, ioctl's and libusb

From: DervishD
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 07:20:34 EST

Hi everybody :)

I've been solving a USB problem related to a digital photo
camera, and I've noticed that 'libusb' uses a ioctl interface to the
USB kernel system. In fact it implements 'usb_control_msg()' using
ioctl's. On the other hand, the kernel itself (I'm talking about
2.4.29) provides an API in <linux/usb.h> that implements too
'usb_control_msg()' using URB's.

My question is: which interface should be used by user space
applications, <linux/usb.h> or ioctl's? Is the ioctl interface
deprecated in any way? In the "Programming guide for Linux USB Device
Drivers", located in http://usb.in.tum.de/usbdoc/, I can't find ioctl
interface references :?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado