Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 16:27:38 EST

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 03:03:04PM -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > and combining them has _zero_ advantages (whatever bug the combined patch
> > fix _will_ be fixed by the series of individual patches too - even if the
> > splitting was buggy in some respect, you are pretty much guaranteed of
> > this, since the bug you were trying to fix is the _one_ thing you are
> > really testing for).
>
> Lots of work to split up a patch though.

Exactly. And since that's a prerequisite for any meaningful review,
some equivalent of that work will have to be done at some point.
The only question is who will be doing that work - proponents of patch
or reviewers?

Look at it that way: when you are submitting a paper for publication,
it's your responsibility to get it into form that would allow review.

Sending a lump of something that might, given considerable efforts, be
massaged into readable and understandable text is not going to fly.
And doing that with "it's a lot of work [so could reviewers please do
that work themselves and spare me the efforts]" as rationale...