Re: [patch 1/13] Qsort

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 12:39:23 EST

ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 18:16 (+0100) skreiv Andreas Gruenbacher:

> > Whatever Sun chooses to do or not do changes nothing to the question of
> > why our client would want to do a quicksort in the kernel.
>
> Well, it determines what we must accept, both on the server side and the
> client side.

I can see why you might want it on the server side, but I repeat: why
does the client need to do this in the kernel? The client code should
not be overriding the server when it comes to what is acceptable or not
acceptable. That's just wrong...

I can also see that if the server _must_ have a sorted list, then doing
a sort on the client is a good thing since it will cut down on the work
that said server will need to do, and so it will scale better with the
number of clients (though note that, conversely, this server will scale
poorly with the Sun clients or others if they do not sort the lists).

I'm asking 'cos if the client doesn't need this code, then it seems to
me you can move helper routines like the quicksort and posix checking
routines into the nfsd module rather than having to keeping it in the
VFS (unless you foresee that other modules will want to use the same
routines???).

Cheers,
Trond
--