[OT] News about the Open Graphics Project

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 10:15:40 EST

Some of you may recall my post back in October (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109831011607347&w=2) about an open-source-friendly graphics board. We've been working on that, and we've made a lot of progress on it. A LOT has changed, and we're now working on an OpenGL-compliant 3D GPU.

This morning, KernelTrap put up an interview that we've been working on which talks about the project and its current status. Here's a link to the article:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/4622

Usually, KernelTrap quotes LKML. Therefore, I figure it wouldn't be too bad for me to quote KernelTrap on LKML. :) Here's a relevant bit of the article:

The Open Graphics Project is a collaboration between the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Community and Tech Source Inc. to develop new 3D graphics products that are compatible with Free Software, both philosophically and practically. The project is currently designing an "open source friendly graphics card" which will offer quality 3D and 2D acceleration with an impressive feature set at an affordable price, aiming for availability as early as June of 2005. Though the project was only started in October of 2004, it has already released the card's specifications, a design document, and a software model for early testing and driver development. In this interview, Timothy provides a wealth of information about the project and its current status, highlights contributions needed from the free and open source community, and fully describes the specific capabilities of the card.

[Note: I used to subscribe to LKML, but this project and my own mailing list have made it impossible for me to keep up with LKML. If you have questions, feel free to email me directly.]