Re: inter_module_get and __symbol_get

From: David Mosberger
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 18:03:39 EST

>>>>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:44:18 +1100, Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

Keith> Does the kernel code really need optional dynamic references
Keith> between modules or kernel -> modules? That depends on how
Keith> people code their modules. If the rest of the kernel no
Keith> longer needs dynamic symbol reference then drop
Keith> inter_module_* and __symbol_*.

Well, the only place that I know of where I (have to) care about
inter_module*() is because of the DRM/AGP dependency. I can't imagine
DRM being overly happy if an AGP device suddenly disappeared, so I
think static is fine (in fact, probably preferable).

Of course, the trick is how to pull the backwards compatibility off
giving that for the time being we're more or less stuck with Nvidia's
5336 release on ia64... ;-(

--david