Re: inter_module_get and __symbol_get

From: David Mosberger
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 17:44:59 EST

Keith,

I didn't see any followup to your message. My apologies if I missed
something.

You wrote:

Keith> inter_module_* and __symbol_* solve these class of problems:

Keith> Module A can use module B if B is loaded, but A does not
Keith> require module B to do its work. B is optional.

Keith> The kernel can use code in module C is C is loaded, but the
Keith> base kernel does not require module C. C is optional.

Why isn't this handled via weak references? If the reference comes
out as 0, you know the underlying module/facility isn't there and
proceed accordingly.

--david