Re: DVD burning still have problems

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 12:35:51 EST

On Mon, Jan 24 2005, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 16:07 +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 23 2005, Alessandro Suardi wrote:

> > > Lucky you. Burning as root here, cdrecord not suid. Tried also
> > > burning with a +s growisofs, but...
> > >
> > > 794034176/4572807168 (17.4%) @2.4x, remaining 18:47
> > > 805339136/4572807168 (17.6%) @2.4x, remaining 18:42
> > > :-[ WRITE@LBA=60eb0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
> > > builtin_dd: 396976*2KB out @ average 2.4x1385KBps
> > > :-( write failed: Input/output error
> >
> > As with the original report, the drive is sending back a write error to
> > the issuer. Looks like bad media.
> when i do the following:
> 1: get a brand new 25pack box.
> 2: burn with my 2.6.11-rc1-bk9, and it fails
> 3: boot 2.6.9-rc1 and -rc4, and it works perfectly
> i find it extremely unlikely that the dvd's (of the same pack) i try on
> a newer kernel than 2.6.9-rcX just happens to be the faulty ones..
> especially since other persons report aswell..

Perhaps some command earlier is being rejected which causes this later
hardware reported error due to some setting being different? It could be
something like that, one thing is for sure - the error generated as
displayed _is_ a media error and it _is_ being generated by the
hardware.

Someone suggested logging possibly rejected commands, I think that would
be a good idea to try.

--
Jens Axboe