ARM undefined symbols. Again.

From: Russell King
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 10:44:25 EST

Sam,

Where did the hacks go which detect the silent failure of the ARM binutils?

I'm asking because I've just spent all of today trying to work out why
the hell code isn't working, only to find that it's all down to the
toolchain problem not being detected by kbuild. IOW, the code sequence:

mov r0, #CR1A_SMPE

where CR1A_SMPE is undefined, assembles to:

c001224c: e3a00000 mov r0, #0 ; 0x0

without any warnings or errors, and links a successful kernel, leaving
this in System.map:

U CR1A_SMPE

I absolutely must have the kernel build system detecting this binutils
problem when it occurs.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/