Re: [patch 1/13] Qsort

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 22:00:56 EST

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:21:29AM +1100, Nathan Scott wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 08:29:30PM -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 03:39:34AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > c) the three-way median selection does help avoid worst-case O(n^2)
> > behavior, which might potentially be triggerable by users in places
> > like XFS where this is used
>
> XFS's needs are simple - we're just sorting dirents within a
> single directory block or smaller, and sorting EA lists/ACLs -
> all of which are small arrays, so a qsort optimised for small
> arrays suits XFS well.

Ok, I've worked up a much smaller, cleaner version that wins on lists
of 10000 entries or less and is still within 5% at 1M entries (ie well
past what any kernel code has any business doing). More after I've
fiddled around a bit more with the benchmarks.

> Take care not to put any arrays on the
> stack though, else the CONFIG_4KSTACKS punters won't be happy.

I'm afraid I'm one of those punters - 4k stacks were getting cleaned up and
tested in my -tiny tree long before mainline.