Re: [patch 1/13] Qsort

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 21:05:27 EST

On 22 Jan 2005, at 22:00, vlobanov wrote:

Hi,

I was just reading over the patch, and had a quick question/comment upon
the SWAP macro defined below. I think it's possible to do a tiny bit
better (better, of course, being subjective), as follows:

#define SWAP(a, b, size) \
do { \
register size_t __size = (size); \
register char * __a = (a), * __b = (b); \
do { \
__a++; \
__b++; \
} while ((--__size) > 0); \
} while (0)

What do you think? :)

AFAIK, XOR is quite expensive on IA32 when compared to simple MOV operatings. Also, since the original patch uses 3 MOVs to perform the swapping, and your version uses 3 XOR operations, I don't see any gains.

Am I missing something?