Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] plugsched-2.0 patches ...

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 09:14:31 EST

On Thu, Jan 20 2005, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:14:48 EST, "Marc E. Fiuczynski" said:
> > Peter, thank you for maintaining Con's plugsched code in light of Linus' and
> > Ingo's prior objections to this idea. On the one hand, I partially agree
> > with Linus&Ingo's prior views that when there is only one scheduler that the
> > rest of the world + dog will focus on making it better. On the other hand,
> > having a clean framework that lets developers in a clean way plug in new
> > schedulers is quite useful.
> >
> > Linus & Ingo, it would be good to have an indepth discussion on this topic.
> > I'd argue that the Linux kernel NEEDS a clean pluggable scheduling
> > framework.
>
> Is this something that would benefit from several trips around the -mm
> series?
>
> ISTR that we started with one disk elevator, and now we have 3 or 4
> that are selectable on the fly after some banging around in -mm. (And
> yes, I realize that the only reason we can change the elevator on the
> fly is because it can switch from the current to the 'stupid FIFO
> none' elevator and thence to the new one, which wouldn't really work
> for the CPU scheduler....)

I don't think you can compare the two. Yes they are both schedulers, but
that's about where the 'similarity' stops. The CPU scheduler must be
really fast, overhead must be kept to a minimum. For a disk scheduler,
we can affort to burn cpu cycles to increase the io performance. The
extra abstraction required to fully modularize the cpu scheduler would
come at a non-zero cost as well, but I bet it would have a larger impact
there. I doubt you could measure the difference in the disk scheduler.

There are vast differences between io storage devices, that is why we
have different io schedulers. I made those modular so that the desktop
user didn't have to incur the cost of having 4 schedulers when he only
really needs one.

> All the arguments that support having more than one elevator apply
> equally well to the CPU scheduler....

Not at all, imho. It's two completely different problems.

--
Jens Axboe