FATAL: Error inserting fm -- invalid module format

From: Srinivas G.
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 09:05:28 EST

Dear All,

We were developed a block device driver on linux-2.6.x kernel. We want
to distribute our driver as a RPM Binary. We are using the SuSE 9.1 with
2.6.5-7.71 kernel.

We build the RPM file using the fm.ko file on SuSE 9.1 with 2.6.5-7.71
kernel where fm.ko indicates our Block Driver module. When I try to run
the RPM file on a different kernel version it has given the following
error message.

FATAL: Error inserting fm
(/lib/modules/2.6.4-52-default/kernel/drivers/block/fm.ko): Invalid
module format

As I know the error message indicates that I compiled the driver under
2.6.5-7.71 kernel where as I am trying to insert the module in
2.6.4-52-default kernel.

My question is: Is it possible to compile and build a .ko file with out
including the version information? (i.e. I want to build a RPM file
using fm.ko file which was compiled using 2.6.5-7.71 and to run the RPM
file on a different kernel versions.)

We are not very sure of how to achieve this.
Please help us address this issue.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Srinivas G