Re: LVM2

From: Jeffrey E. Hundstad
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 17:28:26 EST

XFS is an SGI project.
http://oss.sgi.com/

I've been using it for quite a while and am quite happy with it; it is very fast and very fault tolerant. The only warning I'd like to give about it is it seems that some Linux developers seem to have a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to XFS; go figure.

--
jeffrey hundstad

Trever L. Adams wrote:

It is for a group. For the most part it is data access/retention. Writes
and such would be more similar to a desktop. I would use SATA if they
were (nearly) equally priced and there were awesome 1394 to SATA bridge
chips that worked well with Linux. So, right now, I am looking at ATA to
1394.

So, to get 2TB of RAID5 you have 6 500 GB disks right? So, will this
work within on LV? Or is it 2TB of diskspace total? So, are volume
groups pretty fault tolerant if you have a bunch of RAID5 LVs below
them? This is my one worry about this.

Second, you mentioned file systems. We were talking about ext3. I have
never used any others in Linux (barring ext2, minixfs, and fat). I had
heard XFS from IBM was pretty good. I would rather not use reiserfs.

Any recommendations.

Trever

P.S. Why won't an LV support over 2TB?

S.P.S. I am not really worried about the boot and programs drive. They
will be spun down most of the time I am sure.