Re: LVM2

From: Trever L. Adams
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 17:21:08 EST

It is for a group. For the most part it is data access/retention. Writes
and such would be more similar to a desktop. I would use SATA if they
were (nearly) equally priced and there were awesome 1394 to SATA bridge
chips that worked well with Linux. So, right now, I am looking at ATA to
1394.

So, to get 2TB of RAID5 you have 6 500 GB disks right? So, will this
work within on LV? Or is it 2TB of diskspace total? So, are volume
groups pretty fault tolerant if you have a bunch of RAID5 LVs below
them? This is my one worry about this.

Second, you mentioned file systems. We were talking about ext3. I have
never used any others in Linux (barring ext2, minixfs, and fat). I had
heard XFS from IBM was pretty good. I would rather not use reiserfs.

Any recommendations.

Trever

P.S. Why won't an LV support over 2TB?

S.P.S. I am not really worried about the boot and programs drive. They
will be spun down most of the time I am sure.

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 22:40 +0100, Norbert van Nobelen wrote:
> A logical volume in LVM will not handle more than 2TB. You can tie together
> the LVs in a volume group, thus going over the 2TB limit. Choose your
> filesystem well though, some have a 2TB limit too.
>
> Disk size: What are you doing with it. 500GB disks are ATA (maybe SATA). ATA
> is good for low end servers or near line storage, SATA can be used equally to
> SCSI (I am going to suffer for this remark).
>
> RAID5 in software works pretty good (survived a failed disk, and recovered
> another failing raid in 1 month). Hardware is better since you don't have a
> boot partition left which is usually just present on one disk (you can mirror
> that yourself ofcourse).
>
> Regards,
>
> Norbert van Nobelen
>
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 20:51, you wrote:
> > I recently saw Alan Cox say on this list that LVM won't handle more than
> > 2 terabytes. Is this LVM2 or LVM? What is the maximum amount of disk
> > space LVM2 (or any other RAID/MIRROR capable technology that is in
> > Linus's kernel) handle? I am talking with various people and we are
> > looking at Samba on Linux to do several different namespaces (obviously
> > one tree), most averaging about 3 terabytes, but one would have in
> > excess of 20 terabytes. We are looking at using 320 to 500 gigabyte
> > drives in these arrays. (How? IEEE-1394. Which brings a question I will
> > ask in a second email.)
> >
> > Is RAID 5 all that bad using this software method? Is RAID 5 available?
> >
> > Trever Adams
> > --
> > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
> >
> > -
> -

"Assassination is the extreme form of censorship." -- George Bernard
Shaw (1856-1950)