re: 2.6.11-rc1 vs. PowerMac 8500/G3 (and VAIO laptop) [usb-storage oops]

From: John Mock
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 13:44:58 EST

> Is that really new to 2.6.11-rc1? The kernel byte-swaps the bcdUSB,
> idVendor, idProduct, and bcdDevice fields in the device descriptor. It
> should probably swap them back before copying it up to userspace.

Yes, it happens with 2.6.11-rc1 on my PowerPC, but not with 2.6.10 (or
before), or on my Sony VAIO laptop. However, it does not prevent it from
recognizing devices and/or having 'hotplug' load the appropriate module.

Alas, when it does load 'usb-storage', it generally gets an oops, as
previously described, which seems to prevent the use of that device.

Not being able to use USB devices on the PPC (nor fireware on the VAIO
laptop after suspending) cause grief for me; 'lsusb' is just a minor
annoyance by comparison.

PLEASE let me know if there's anything i can do to help track this down!

-- JM