Re: kbuild: Implicit dependence on the C compiler

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 11:12:14 EST

Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Unconditionally execute make install assuming vmlinux is up-to-date.
> make modules_install run unconditionally, so this is already know
> practice

(o) Vote for this.

IMO, a make install should NEVER run the compiler.

The reason is: I'm deliberaely compiling as a user on the fastest system
before I copy or mount the FS to/on some other box and do a make install.
The other box will be _very_ slow while compiling or missing some of the
needed components (e.g. gcc).