Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 06:13:57 EST

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:30:33PM -0600, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> This would allow an application to write trace events of its own to a
> trace stream for instance.

I don't think this is a good idea. Userspace could aswell easily write
its trace into shared memory segments.

> Also, I added a user-requested 'feature'
> whereby write()s on a relayfs channel would be sent to a callback that
> could be used to interpret 'out-of-band' commands sent from the
> userspace application.

Now write as a control channel makes lots of sense, but I'd encapsulate
that differently. Basically a net ctl file for each stream (and get
rid of ioctl in favour of this one while we're at it)