Re: Unable to burn DVDs

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 18:42:14 EST

Michal Schmidt wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Nick Sanders wrote:

For me when running growisofs with user permissions on 2.6.10 (ide-cd) it works perfectly 1st time but 2nd time fails with the error below. It works fine when run as root.

:-( unable to PREVENT MEDIA REMOVAL: Operation not permitted

As an aside audio cd burning with cdrecord works as long as the '-text' option isn't used, if it is the process hangs.

I reported a similar thing with cdrecord, writing a first session successfully using the -multi flag, but not being able to append to it or read the size with the "-msinfo" flag. I was totally blown off and told I didn't have permissions on the device, even though I was able to write to it.

I believe the true answer is that the SCSI command filter is blocking a command needed to perform the operation, probably a command to lock the door of the drive. In my case I have permissions to write the CD, just not to read the info needed to write additional sessions.

Hello,
Bill and Nick, could you try the attached patch that I sent to Jens Axboe yesterday? (You can see the mail with an explanation on
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110599420505734&w=2 )

Thank you, I will try to get it in tomorrow if I can replicate the issue with a USB CD burner, otherwise I will have to wait until Fri or Sat to try it on an IDE atached unit. Or I can try to get it going in my laptop, that has an FC2 install right now, so it should (eventually) build a kernel ;-)

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)