Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 11:36:06 EST

Tom Zanussi wrote:
> I have to disagree. Awhile back, if you remember, I posted a patch to
> the LTT daemon that would monitor the trace stream in real time, and
> process it using an embedded Perl interpreter, no less:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109405724500237&w=2
>
> It didn't seem to have any problems keeping up with the trace stream
> even though it was monitoring all LTT event types (and a couple of
> others - custom events injected using kprobes) and not doing any
> filtering in the kernel, through kernel compiles, normal X traffic,
> etc. I don't know what volume of event traffic would cause this model
> to break down, but I think it shows that at least some level of
> non-trivial live processing is possible...

Good Point.

My bad. Thanks for bringing this up. Obviously this didn't get as
much attention as it should've had the last time it was posted,
especially as it allows very easy scripting of filtering in userspace.
That email you refer to is pretty loaded and I'm sure those who
are interested will dig through it. But in the interest of helping
everyone get a rapid understanding of what it does and how it does it,
can you break it down in to a short description, possibly with a
diagram? I'm sure many will find this very interesting.

Thanks,

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits