Re: 2.4: "access beyond end of device" after ext2 mount

From: Mario Holbe
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 10:31:30 EST

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:24:03AM -0500, Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:
> Is the problem with the drive on the promise board or the drive on the
> VIA chipset?

The problem is with each drive on each controller. The problem is even
with no drive on no controller - as I've shown to you with my loop
example, because it does have exactly nothing to do with drives or
controllers at all but just with block devices and their block size.

> the same problem you are having, the motherboard did not support drives
> over 32GB or it was because I had the 32GB clip (pins on the back of the

I'm quite sure my board supports drives bigger than 32G and also drives
biggern than 128G.

> hard drive) shorted. Did you check your HDD manual to see if you have
> the 32GB clip enabled? If so, you need to disable this.

And I'm horribly sure, that I don't have 32GB clipping enabled on
my 40, 80 or 160G drives :)

However - it has nothing to do with drives at all. Just with block
devices and block sizes. It's no physical problem but a logical one
and you can reproduce it on any drive you like just by creating
partitions big enough to force mke2fs to allocate (2048|4096) blocks
(or by creating small ones and force mke2fs manually) and with an
absolute size being a multiple of 1024 but none of (2048|4096).

Mario
--
<jv> Oh well, config
<jv> one actually wonders what force in the universe is holding it