Re: [discuss] booting a kernel compiled with -mregparm=0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 11:39:55 EST

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> So, this means there is no way for kdb on x86_64 to show the parameter
> values for each function in the back trace. Any chance of changing the
> ABI/x86_64 to do the right (i.e. passing via stack like on i386) thing
> now? Then kdb would automatically support it via normal ar-handling code.

"right thing"? You have a very strange definition of "right". The x86 is
pretty much the only architecture still in use that passes everything on
the stack by default, and even there it's considered pretty painful (and
is not true of FP arguments).

If a debugger cannot handle arguments in registers, it by definition
cannot handle things like alpha/ppc/mips/xxx, so I'd say that the
debugger is seriously broken.

Linus