Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Tom Zanussi
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 11:17:38 EST

Karim Yaghmour writes:

> Hello Roman,
>

> What we are dropping for later review: read/write semantics from
> user-space. It has to be understood that we believe that this is
> a major drawback. For one thing, you won't be able to do something
> like:
> $ cat /relayfs/xchg/my-file > ~/test-data
>
> Instead, you will have to write a custom app that does open(),
> mmap(), write(). We could still provide a small app/library that
> did this automagically, but you've got to admit that nothing
> beats the real thing.

Maybe we could use FUSE to provide read()/write() for relayfs files -
opening a FUSE relayfs file would open and mmap the actual relayfs
file, read() would move around in the buffer using basically the
current relayfs read logic moved down into the FUSE filesystem read
fileop, and write() could write directly to the buffer...

Tom

--
Regards,

Tom Zanussi <zanussi@xxxxxxxxxx>