Re: Can I ask a smbfs question here?

From: Nick
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 17:03:40 EST

/usr/sbin/smbmnt ?

After I chmodded /usr/bin/smbmnt one, I got:
libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.
29612: Connection to nata failed
SMB connection failed

I do not have /usr/sbin/smbmnt

not remember which one - found its name in one of FAQs) and specified

username=administrator,password=xxx,fmask=0666,codepage=cp866,iocharset=utf8,users

Are you sure it's "users" and not "user" ?

I actually tried both. The reaction is the same (may be synonims?). As soon as I specify it, codepage= and iocharset= parameters are no longer recognized and an error message starts to appear in the /var/log/messages saying that "noexec" parameter is not recognized by smbfs (Jan 9 15:24:09 NS kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec). This is actually not a big issue as I could write a script with "sudo mount /my/mountpoint". And I probably can exclude this line from my fstab and specify the parameters in this script. This just does not look very user-friendly to me (ok for my single-user laptop). It appears that I cannot use fstab with smbfs volumes if I want international characters.

Any ideas if it is possible to fix this? I can "sudo mount" all the time
but it does not sound right...

And what's wrong with smbmount ?
smbmount //server/share /your/mountpoint -o username=<uname>,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp866
Works like a charm as long as /usr/sbin/smbmnt is suid-root

Thanks!