Re: usb key oddities with 2.6.10-ac9

From: Jack Howarth
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 22:18:59 EST

Alan,
I don't see any changes in how Fedora's 2.6.10 kernels are built
that should effect USB hotplugging. The previous kernel I was using
shows...

grep HOT config-2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_FAKE is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_COMPAQ=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_COMPAQ_NVRAM is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_IBM=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE_POLL_EVENT_MODE=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_SHPC=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_SHPC_POLL_EVENT_MODE=y
CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y

and their new 2.6.10 based kernels show...

grep HOT config-2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_FAKE is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_COMPAQ=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_COMPAQ_NVRAM is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_IBM=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI_IBM=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_CPCI is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_PCIE_POLL_EVENT_MODE is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_SHPC=m
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_SHPC_POLL_EVENT_MODE is not set
CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y

Is there anything I can modify (without rebuilding the kernel) that
will fire off dmsegs from the kernel for the calls it makes to
execute /sbin/hotplug? Perhaps I can see some difference in how or
when hotplug is called by the kernel for usb devices?
Jack
ps Fedora did switch with 2.6.10 from using usbdevfs to using usbfs
but they modified their initscripts package to handle that change.