Re: vgacon fixes to help font restauration in X11

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 21:06:48 EST

On Maw, 2005-01-11 at 14:28, Egbert Eich wrote:
> I'm fully aware that in the long run we will need to look into a new
> driver model for graphics where no two instances fight over who gets
> register access. However such a model won't be created nor will we get
> the majority of the drivers ported over night.
> Therefore we need to find an interim solution for the most pressing
> problems.

This doesn't appear to work as a solution because the functionality
changes won't be in all the existing kernel, and also because the kernel
font save has a couple of bugs reported against it with regards to
saving the right data that might need looking at anyway.

It seems it would be neccessary for X to have a way to know whether the
feature is present.