Re: ServerWorks CSB6 DMA problems

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 20:48:32 EST

On Gwe, 2005-01-14 at 21:39, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
> On a machine with a RHEL3 kernel (2.4.21-27.0.1.EL), the kernel seems to
> enable UDMA33 on the first connected disk (Seagate 7200.7) but uses PIO
> mode on the second (Maxtor 6Y080P0).
>
> I found out this is for good reasons because after enabling UDMA100 on
> both disks, via hdparm, filesystem corruption quickly resulted.

That all suprises me a great deal, although the modes are normally BIOS
selected by the Serverworks and then read by the kernel. CBS5/CSB6 IDE
should be very reliable indeed (OSB4 is a much older chipset and the
problem it has is OSB4 specific)

I'd also suggest you raise it with your RHEL support and/or
bugzilla.redhat.com

Alan