Re: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1

From: Andre Eisenbach
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 18:01:35 EST

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:23:52 -0800, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - Added FUSE (filesystem in userspace) for people to play with. Am agnostic
> as to whether it should be merged (haven't read it at all closely yet,
> either), but I am impressed by the amount of care which has obviously gone
> into it. Opinions sought.

This is great news!

As a long time user of KDE's kio-slaves, I was always missing the
kio-slave functionality on the command line and in non-kde programs.
FUSE provides a kio-slave interface, but hopefully the inclusion of
FUSE in the mm-kernel will cause more "fuse native" filesystems to
come out which provide the functionality of the various kio-slaves.

Some things I'd like to see (as I am currently using the KIO
equivalent) implemented as FUSE fs:
- "fish", virtual file access over ssh
- "audiocd", virtual audio cd filesystem which copies and encodes
audio tracks on the fly
- "ftp", virtual file system ftp server access
etc..

Imagination is the limit, and since it can be implemented in userspace
pretty easily with FUSE, I am looking forward to see what people can
come up with and hope that FUSE is here to sray.

Cheers,
Andre