Re: Make pipe data structure be a circular list of pages, rather than

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 05:40:48 EST

Chris> Mike Waychison wrote:
>> This got me to thinking about how you can heuristically optimize
>> away coalescing support and still allow PAGE_SIZE bytes minimum in
>> the effective buffer.

Chris> While coalescing may be a win in some cases, there should also
Chris> be some way to tell the kernel to NOT coalesce, to handle the
Chris> case where you want minimum latency at the cost of some
Chris> throughput.

SysVr4 pipes used to have two modes: a `legacy' mode that coalesced
data, and a `message' mode that preserved message boundaries. Seems
to me that we could be about to have the latter in Linux...

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*