Re: page table lock patch V15 [0/7]: overview II

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 23:53:43 EST

Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> writes:
> As you can see cmpxchg is slightly faster for the cache hot case,
> but incredibly slow for cache cold (probably because it does something
> nasty on the bus). This is pretty consistent to Intel and AMD CPUs.
> Given that page tables are likely more often cache cold than hot
> I would use the lazy variant.

Sorry, my benchmark program actually had a bug (first loop included
page faults). Here are updated numbers. They are somewhat different:

Athlon 64:
readpte hot 25
readpte cold 171
readpte_cmp hot 18
readpte_cmp cold 162

Nocona:
readpte hot 118
readpte cold 443
readpte_cmp hot 22
readpte_cmp cold 224

The difference is much smaller here. Assuming cache cold cmpxchg8b is
better, at least on the Intel CPUs which have a slow rmb().

-Andi