Hardware sensors problem with 2.4.21 on IBM eServer 335/345

From: Armen Babikyan
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 18:21:50 EST

Hi,

I am trying to get hardware sensors (i.e. cpu temp, fan speed, and voltage sensors) working on an IBM eServer 335 system that is running RedHat (Enterprise edition) with kernel 2.4.21 (2.4.21-27 actually).

The driver for the sensors chip on this particular mainboard is found using sensors-detect:

Use driver `i2c-piix4' for device 00:0f.0: ServerWorks CSB5 South Bridge

However, the driver failed to load with the following error:

i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-dev.o: i2c /dev entries driver module
i2c-core.o: driver i2c-dev dummy driver registered.
i2c-piix4.o version 2.6.5 (20020915)
i2c-piix4.o: Found CSB5 device
dmi_scan.o version 2.6.5 (20020915)
dmi_scan.o: SM BIOS found
i2c-piix4.o: IBM Laptop detected; this module may corrupt
your serial eeprom! Refusing to load module!
i2c-piix4.o: Module insertion failed.

Obviously this machine is not an IBM Laptop! It is, in fact, a rackmount server. My question is: is this machine still at risk of this EEPROM corruption bug that is present in (what looks like exclusively) certain models of IBM Thinkpads? I can easily comment out this logic and recompile, but I really don't want to break my EEPROM! Can anyone tell me with reasonable certainty that I won't break my machine by forcibly installing this module?

I'd upgrade to a newer version of the linux kernel, but other users of the machine have requested the kernel version be kept for support reasons.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Armen