Re: propolice support for linux

From: Han Boetes
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 12:38:59 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Han Boetes wrote:
> > And I got two warnings about `int __guard = '\0\0\n\777';'
> >
> > lib/propolice.c:15:15: warning: octal escape sequence out of range
> > lib/propolice.c:15:15: warning: multi-character character constant
>
> Unless you foresee a port of Linux to some 36 bit hardware (like
> MULTICS) with nine bit bytes, is there a reason not to us \377? I have
> used 36 (and 48) bit hardware, but I don't expect it to ever get a Linux
> port.

Could you please refrain from using rhetorical questions, since
they really obscure what you are trying explain and only appear to
intend to embarrass me.

If I understand right what you just said I would suggest you would
have say something like: ``This should most likely be \377. \777
is intended for 36 bit hardware.''

# Han