Re: [ANNOUNCE] linux-libc-headers 2.6.10.0

From: Mariusz Mazur
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 04:44:24 EST

On czwartek 13 styczeń 2005 09:13, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> I know you are deliberately vague in the faq ;) But what about something
> like X11? It needs the real config.h in order to build the kernel DRM
> drivers.

I'm a distribution vendor. If x11 really required having current kernel config
at compile time to function properly, I'd start sending threats to its
authors.

> Should it be built against
> 1) llh + blank config.h

Yes, if an app really does require config.h (and it *shouldn't*), it ought to
have the sanest possible default configuration (by default I mean without
depending on any CONFIG_). And again that's something I can tell you as a
distro vendor.

> 2) llh + real config.h

And if you have some exotic configuration or such, and your app does support
it, then you should be using your kernel's config.h (though it would be
preferable if you just added the appropriate CONFIG_s to otherwise empty
config.h).

--
In the year eighty five ten
God is gonna shake his mighty head